- Salaries and the actual cost of related work performed by research personnel (not co-investigators) that contributes towards the direct cost of research for which the funds were awarded, shall be in accordance with institutional policies.
- Salaries and the actual cost of related work performed by graduate students should not exceed 50% of the grant per year.
- Fees paid and gifts for the purpose of participant recruitment, such as modest incentives to consider participation (i.e., to establish a potential participant pool), where approved by a Research Ethics Board.
- Fees paid and gifts to research participants, such as modest incentives for participation, where approved by a Research Ethics Board.
- Travel Expenses (see below)
- Any form of compensation to co-applicants and collaborators of the grant regardless of their eligibility to apply for grants (excluding graduate students)
- Administrative overhead (or management) charges and fees.
- Research Ethics Board fees.
- Compensation-related benefits to recipients of stipends.
- Discretionary severance and separation packages.
- Honoraria for guest speakers.
- Consulting fees.
Travel and Subsistence Costs
Eligible Expenses (not to exceed $1,500/year)
Travel and subsistence costs (meals and accommodation) include reasonable out-of-pocket expenses for field work, research conferences, collaborative trips for the grantee and research personnel working with the grantee for this project.
- Air travel must be claimed at the most economical rate available, not to exceed full economy fare.
- Travel cancellation insurance and seat reservation charges.
- Commuting costs of grantees and associated research personnel between their residence and place of employment, or between two places of employment.
- Passport and immigration fees.
- Reimbursement for airfare purchased with personal frequent flyer points programs.
Computers and Electronic Communications
- Computers, tablets, modems, emerging technology and other hardware.
- Cellular phones, smartphone or other electronic devices.
- Monthly plan fees for electronic devices.
- Standard monthly connection or rental costs of telephones.
- Connection or installation of lines (telephone or other links).
- Voice mail.
- Library acquisitions, computer and other information services provided to all members of an institution.
- Home internet costs.
Dissemination of Research Results
Eligible Expenses (not to exceed $500/year)
- Costs of developing web-based information, including website maintenance fees (to a max of $500).
- Costs associated with the dissemination of findings.
- Page charges for articles published, including costs associated with ensuring open access to the findings (e.g., costs of publishing in an open access journal or making a journal article open access).
- Costs of preparing a research manuscript for publication.
- Translation costs associated with dissemination of findings.
- Costs of holding a workshop or seminar, the activities of which relate directly to the funded research (including non-alcoholic refreshments or meal costs).